Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Robot Does It All (4-end)

I am going to tell you the story "Robot Does It All" by Teramura Teruo.

(part 4 - end)
...
Cry his heart out as he might, rant and rave as much as he pleased, there now no way the king could go to the neighbor kingdom with half his moustache gone.
He felt utterly miserable.
Only half a moustache left, his skin stinging like mad, he crawled into bed. But now he couldn't sleep.
Even if he hadn't been feeling so terrible he still wouldn't be able to sleep, since he hadn't done anything but lounge about all day long. He wasn't sleepy. He lay in bed till morning, unable to sleep. Sleeping had become a chore.
(Oh well, guess I might as well get up...). the thought passed through his mind, but the morning bugle would not sound untill 7:00.
The king did some thingking.
The following morning, about 5:00, the king went to wake the robot. Naturally though, being a robot, it's always awake.
What do you thing the king said to the robot? Let's eavesdrop.
"I say, Robot, old chap, how about teaching me horseback riding? I haven't had much exercise lately, and I've put on some weight."
And so, while everyone else was still asleep, the king slipped out and had a lesson in horseback riding.
The next morning after that the king said to the robot: "I say, Robot, old chap, how about giving me some school lessons? I've been neglecting the books, lately, and my memory's beginning to get rusty."
And the story goes that the king started brushing his teeth again, something he hadn't done for ages. And that he started washing his hands again before meals, something he hadn't done for ages. As for the rest of the ways the king changed, well, I'd be much obliged if you thought about them by yourself.

(The end)

No comments:

Post a Comment