Monday, April 19, 2010

Robot Does It All (3)

I start recording the story "Robot Does It All" by Teramura Teruo.

(part 3)
...
"Your Majesty, a letter has arrived from our neighbors, inviting you to come see a circus," sad the chief minister.
"All right! A circus... now that's something I'll go to."
The king was making the robot do everything; this was the only time he proposed to go himself.
"But Your Majesty..."
"But what?"
"If we compare Your Majesty... and the robot..."
"So you compare me and the robot, so what?"
"In Your Majesty's present state, I think you might be a bit unsightly..."
Taking the suggestion, the king did compare himself with the robot. Yes, he was absolutely filthy. Also, all he'd been doing was eat lots of food and lie on his couch, so he'd become fat and flabby, and the good suit made a short while ago fitted the robot perfectly but was tight on him.
"It's a pity, Your Majesty, but perhaps we should let the robot go in your place this time. When he comes back you can hear all about it from him."
".........."
The king felt hurt and angry, but there was nothing else that could be done.
"I'm going to bed."
The king crawled into bed. Still, what a pity. If there was only some way...
Out in the courtyard, preparations were under way for the robot's departure. They were polishing the automobile until it sparkled, and the soldiers who would accompany the robot seemed all assembled.
"That's it!" The king jumped to his feet. He shoulted from the window: "Hey, wait! I will go. I'll take a bath, shave, get all spiffed up, and be down in a jiffy. Wait for me!"
Now, wasn't that extraordinary!
He jumped into the bath, all on his own, and began scrubbing himself with a wash towel. He rubbed and rubbed, but he still couldn't get the dirt off. He poured and poured water over himself, but he was still dirty.
"Bring me a scrubbing brush!"
The dirt finally came off when he used a scrubbing brush. But with serious results. Now his skin stung him so much, it hurt something awful when he put on his underwear.
"Grin and bear it, grin and bear it..."
Next was a shave. The chief minister come and hurried him up.
"Your Majesty, if you don't get ready quickly, the circus will begin."
"I know! I know! I'll be quick, give me a little more time!"
The king took the razor and started shaving his growth of whiskers by himself.
"Hurry! Hurry!" said the chief minister again.
"Shut up!" shouted the king angrily - and in that instant shaved off one half of his precious moustache.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment